There is no one-size-fits-all solution to basement waterproofing. Water control systems are not waterproofing.
DiFranco Contractors is a basement waterproofing contractor who’s proud to have been part of the Northeast Ohio community for over 25 years. DiFranco Contractors takes pride in doing the job the traditional way.
Tips for Basement Waterproofing
- Keep downspouts and gutters clear
- Make sure your lot slopes away from your home
- Check basement windows for cracks and poor sealing
- Fix cracks in the foundation wall
- Make sure there are no areas around your home where water puddles
- Keep drain pipes and surface drains clean and free of debris
- Have sewers and drains cleaned on a regular basis
Water control systems are not the answer. Here’s why:
Basement leaks can come from a number of different issues, and each one requires a different solution. By diagnosing the problem, we ensure our customers get the fix they actually need without breaking the bank, getting the fix done right the first time.
These days, most waterproofing is done by system companies. While system companies claim that they perform all styles of waterproofing, the real truth is that they generally try to steer customers towards their own interior water control system. These are drain pipes installed in your basement. This doesn’t actually stop the water from leaking in; it simply drains the water out.
This can cause damage over time since it allows the foundation to continue cracking. Keeping the water out altogether should be the goal of any homeowner.
When it comes to waterproofing, the first thing to do is remember that water isn’t always the problem.
Detecting early signs of water issues:
- Cracks in the foundation walls
- Poorly functioning drain or sewer backups
- Visible mildew or mold growing on your walls
- Visible damp spots or white powder
- Scent of musty odor
Water control systems are not the answer. In fact, an interior water control system will likely make the problem even worse. Waterproofing is done on the outside of the home, not the inside. We’ve worked on hundreds of homes that use water control systems to rid basements of any free standing water, but the potential for deteriorating walls and structural damage still remain.
Pros /Cons of Basement Waterproofing vs. Water Control Systems Basement Waterproofing
- Prevents Structural damage to foundation
- Doesn’t require a sump pump if you don’t have one currently
- A permanent fix that requires very little maintenance
- Keeps water outside of your basement where it belongs
- Eliminates all the odor associated with musty water
- Increases the value of your home compared to a water control system
- Usually more expensive that a Water Control System
- Takes longer to complete
- Sometimes have to remove obstacles in the way to dig like decks and A/C units
- Landscaping will be affected by work
- Weather needs to be good to perform work
Water Control Systems
- Usually costs less than exterior waterproofing to install
- Can be installed in any weather since most work is performed inside
Installations are usually very fast
- Foundation will continue to deteriorate and may eventually need to be repaired.
- Not a good option for finished basements as installation needs access to floor and masonry wall.
- Creates a lot of dust inside of home.
- workers will be working inside of the home.
- Sump pump will usually have yo be installed with this system. If this pump fails or the power goes out, there’s a good chance your basement will flood.
- Basement usually retains that musty smell as the water is still there.
- Home inspectors and home buyers usually frown on these type of systems as they’re not regarded as a permanent solution generally.
What makes us different
Difranco Contractors, Inc. is based out of Chagrin Falls, Ohio and can offer you the most competitive price on waterproofing your basement.
There are no other basement waterproofing companies that can supply the same quality, craftsmanship, and customer service.
We offer free basement waterproofing estimates and no obligation consults. No high-pressure sales here and you work with the owner, Gianni, who has over 25 years of experience as a general contractor.
When you choose DiFranco, you are partnering with one of the best basement waterproofing contractors in greater Cleveland.
Waterproof Your Basement Today!